Monday, March 13, 2006

July IV MDCCLXXVI


The Statue Of Liberty. A truly majestic and symbolic sight. Everyone who visits New York for more than a few hours has absolutely no excuse. This is a must see. Having stayed in the city with friends back in 2000, I was eager to allow Mrs H the experience of a trip to Liberty Island.

We queued in the blistering heat of a New York September morning to purchase our tickets to Liberty & Ellis Island amongst the embrace of Castle Clinton. Upon finally getting to the ticket booth we were informed that all of the 200 allocated tickets to gain access to Liberty were distributed. Puzzled, I explained to Mrs H that I had no trouble getting inside her last time (I know, I know!).

We were then told that because of the tragic events of September 11th 2001, they had been forced to close the statue and only allow a select few the pedestal viewing gallery experience situated by the feet of Liberty.

Disappointed, I told Mrs H that she would still be in awe at this wonderful monument. She wasn't disappointed...

Oh, and by the way - the lovely Mrs H took the above picture of Liberty! I'd better give her credit where it's due or I'm dead meat! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home